Saturday, April 6, 2019

You think we're ever really forgiven for the mistakes we've made?
Who do you want doing the forgiving? God?
People.
People never forgive. Not in my experience. They say they do, but they don't. I'm not even sure forgiveness really matters.
Why wouldn't it matter?
Well, what is it, forgiveness? It doesn't mean anything. I mean, you still did what you did, right? Nothing's changed. Forgiveness is a mindset. Synapses in your brain telling you to think differently about something that's already happened. It's amorphous. It's not really there. And if it's not really there, what is it?
God, I hope that's not true. Every day, I fell like I'm getting kicked in the head a little. I know I deserve it, but I sure would like it to end someday.
Just do what I do, stay away from people. If you're not around them, there are no mistakes to be made.
That's not the answer. You know that. You need people.
To bum a light. That's about it, though.
Nah. You'll change your mind someday. Just wait. You'll see.

The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel